For the Bread Pudding:
1/2 loaf Challah bread (I prefer the sweetness of challah but a good brioche will work.)
2 cups water
2 cans sweetened condensed milk
1 stick cinnamon
1 Tbsp almond extract
1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
1 cup raisins (Sultana or Currants work best)
1 cup butter in small cubes
1 cup sweet potato puree (canned or roasted sweet potato)
1) Dice the bread into half inch squares and hold in reserve in a 9 by 13 ungreased Pyrex dish.
2) In a saucepan over medium heat combine butter, water, condensed milk, raisins, and cinnamon stick. Melt butter and allow to heat for 10 minutes.
3) Remove from heat, and remove cinnamon stick. Add spices and sweet potato. Whisk in the eggs one at a time.
4) Fold cream base into bread and allow to rest for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
5) Bake covered for 30 minutes or until set. While bread pudding is in oven begin the caramel (see below). Return to oven under broiler for 2-3 minutes.
6) Top with caramel and serve!
For the Caramel:
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup butter
2 Tbsp Raw Coconut Syrup or Cane Syrup (Light Corn Syrup will work but less flavor)
2 Tbsp High Quality Bourbon (I use Four Roses. Trust me, only use what you drink.)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1) In a heavy saucepan on medium-high heat combine sugar, butter, syrup, and cream. Bring to a boil, whisking frequently.
2) Reduce heat to medium, boil gently for 3 minutes.
3) Remove from heat. Stir in bourbon, vanilla, and salt.
Let me know how your bread pudding turns out and have a happy and safe holiday season!